About the course
Trainees will study the following topic areas:
- Pedagogy and Professional Practice.
- Subject Specialist Research
- Global Dimensions
- Foundation Studies
As well as the above we offer the following conference themes:
- Learning without Limits
- Teaching cross curricular English with a global dimension.
Trainees will attend Taught sessions in block release.
Trainees will complete 3 school placements in local Somerset and Devon schools, the placements run in the second half of each term in line with Somerset term dates.
How school placements work
There are 3 Placements.
Autumn Term 1 duration of 7 weeks
Spring Term duration of 7 weeks
Summer Term duration of 9 weeks
There is an additional placement in a Nursery/Early Years setting
These are in a range of year groups and a range of schools.
The course fees for 2019/2020 are as follows:
The mandatory entry requirements for this programme are:
- A UK full degree or equivalent.
- GCSE in English, Maths and Science Grade C/4 or above or equivalent.
- Successful completion of QTS Skills test in Literacy and Numeracy
We will require to see original certificates.
Additional mandatory requirements are:
- DBS Check
- Health check
- Proof of Identification
- Disqualification disclosure
About the training provider
School Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT) in Somerset began in 1997 in partnership with the University of Worcester. Somerset SCITT has continued to grow from strength to strength, providing high quality, local teacher training to benefit the education of young people across Somerset and the Southwest.
In 2017 Somerset SCITT was awarded Ofsted 'Outstanding' (in all areas). Our ethos is :
- To contribute to the quality and status of the teaching profession by training effective teachers whose classroom proficiency and professional judgement have been developed to a level where they can make the best possible start in their teaching careers.
- To encourage Trainees to see all aspects of their training as a basis for their continuing professional development.
- To help Trainees understand and become familiar with a range of professional and educational issues and to apply their growing knowledge and skills in a practical and supporting environment.
We currently offer 6 routes to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) Primary (ages 5-11 years)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) with Early Years Specialism (ages 3-7 years)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) Primary with SEN Specialism (ages 5-11 years)
- School Direct non-salaried
- School Direct salaried
- Teaching Apprenticeship.
Training with disabilities and other needs
We comply with the DDE requirements.
Apply on the UCAS website. You’ll need to register with UCAS before you can apply.
Visit Get into Teaching for guidance on applying for teacher training.
When you apply you’ll need these codes for the Choices section of your application form:
Training provider code:
Training programme code:
Choose a training location
You’ll also need to choose a training location – select the relevant location name on the application form.
||SCIL, Cheddon Road, Taunton, Somerset TA2 7QP
Advice and support
For questions about this course you should contact the training provider using the contact details above.
For advice about teaching
For advice about teaching or teacher training you can call Get into Teaching on Freephone 0800 389 2500 or chat to an adviser using their online chat service between 8am and 8pm, Monday to Friday.
If you have feedback or have had a problem using Find postgraduate teacher training you can contact us by email.
Is there something wrong with this page?
If there is something wrong with this course listing, contact us by email.