About the course
Our training course starts in late August through to June. It has been designed by teachers to reflect the needs of the modern classroom.
Our programme offers:
• After the interview day, we will meet with you to discuss your strengths and areas requiring further development and will set you tasks and a reading list to enable you to develop relevant knowledge and skills before the course starts.
• If available for your subject, we will recommend you undertake an online Subject Knowledge Enhancement course
• Weekly subject knowledge sessions with an experienced teacher who delivers Outstanding lessons enabling you to develop your pedagogical skills
• We also have weekly sessions covering:
• Child Development
• Planning and Assessment
• Behaviour Management and Special Educational Needs
• English as an Additional Language
• Teacher and the Law
• Voice Care
• School workload
All our sessions are based either at our training centre in Wickford or in neighbouring secondary schools.
You will spend 80% of the course in school. Every Thursday you will receive general professional and subject knowledge sessions.
You will start undertaking structured observations of teachers followed by team teaching, part lesson then full lesson teaching.
During the course you will be continually assessed against the Teachers’ Standards through:
• observation of your lessons
• examination of your portfolio of evidence
• assessment tasks
• your reflections linking theory from workshops/reading to your practice in the classroom
There is a formal review of your progress at the end of each term, with the final assessment to gain Qualified Teacher Status taking place in the third term.
We make sure that any written submissions are evenly spread throughout the course. We issue a weekly newsletter to trainees keeping them updated of deadlines. We operate an ‘open door’ policy so trainees can discuss any issues or worries.
PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate in Education – 60 Master credits)
In addition to QTS, we offer trainees the opportunity to study for a PGCE. All lectures are held at Bromfords School, Wickford.
Trainees need to pass 2 assignments of 5000 words each:
• Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
• Professional Studies and Research
This award is validated by University of Suffolk.
We are proud our course has been rated by Ofsted as ‘Outstanding’ for 12 years. We believe we offer excellent value for money.
Once we receive your application, we will interview you in one of our partner schools. You will be interviewed by us and a member of school staff.
On the interview day, you will be asked to:
• deliver a 10 minute presentation on an aspect of learning which is either misunderstood by pupils or difficult to teach;
• complete a written task reflecting on a lesson that you have observed a teacher deliver;
• undertake a formal interview
Successful candidates will be offered a place within 24 hours. An offer letter will be issued and may detail some conditions, e.g. passing your degree.
All trainees offered a place must:
• pass the literacy and numeracy professional skills tests;
• pass a Fitness to Teach medical assessment;
• undergo an enhanced DBS check to verify their suitability to work with young people.
You will then attend a meeting with the Course Director to discuss the strengths and areas for further development identified on the interview day. Tasks will also be set with reading lists to for you to develop your subject knowledge. If available in your subject, we encourage you to do an online subject knowledge enhancement course.
How school placements work
We spend considerable time in ensuring that your placement school is within a reasonable travelling distance from your home. We know our school mentors very well and try to match our trainees with their mentor to build that strong professional relationship.
If you wish to nominate a school, we will be pleased to talk to the Headteacher about our programme.
You will be teaching across the age range 11-16.
All our headteachers are passionate about ‘growing their own’ staff and are very committed to our programme. We work with over 20 secondary schools, as they acknowledge we produce excellent Newly Qualified Teachers who are fully prepared for the challenges of the modern classroom.
Each trainee will be placed in the same school for the whole year, apart from a 6 week period spent in a different school. This second placement will be in a contrasting school environment. Our schools comprise of faith schools, grammar schools and comprehensive schools.
In addition, we provide experiences at special schools, pupil referral units, and alternative educational settings.
Schools play such an important part in the programme, and that’s why we can provide you with an outstanding foundation on which to build your future career.
The course fees for 2019/2020 are as follows:
You could be eligible for either:
- a scholarship of £28,000
- a bursary of £26,000
To qualify for a scholarship you’ll need a degree of 2:1 or above in French or a related subject. For a bursary you’ll need a 2:2 or above in any subject.
You can’t claim both a bursary and a scholarship - you can only claim one.
Find out how to apply for a scholarship. You don’t need to apply for a bursary - if you’re eligible, you’ll automatically start receiving it once you begin your course. Find out how you’ll be paid.
Financial support if you’re from outside the UK.
• GCSE grade C (or grade 4) in English Language and Mathematics
• Minimum 2:2 honours degree from a UK university or a recognised equivalent qualification
• If teaching a subject different to your degree, an A level in that subject is required.
If you have non-British qualifications, you will need to verify their equivalence through UK NARIC. You will need to supply written evidence of any equivalencies with your application.
If you do not hold English or Mathematics GSCE qualifications (or a recognised equivalent), you will need to take an equivalency test. We recommend www.equivalencytesting.co.uk.
You need to be:
• imaginative, creative and energetic;
• enthusiastic about teaching;
• hardworking, adaptable and flexible;
• well organised, focused and determined;
• have a positive outlook;
• have a resilient nature;
• have an ability to inspire and enthuse;
• have the ability to work in a team and with other adults;
• have the ability to reflect, listen and are willing to act on advice;
• have the ability to use their initiative
These qualities are developed on the course through interactive workshops, which previous trainees have greatly valued.
You are learning all the time.
About the training provider
Join our well-structured, supportive School-Centred Initial Teacher Training course.
At the end of the course, our trainees say that they feel confident and fully prepared to start their teaching career.
100% of our trainees gain employment, and enjoy the benefit of our support into their first teaching post and beyond.
Our course offers great value for money – we deliver quality workshops, carefully identified placements, individual pastoral support and academic support in writing assignments. Our focus is on you as an individual, providing you with a tailor-made training programme.
• a training programme that has been rated ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted for the past 12 years and placed in the top five of the ‘Good Teacher Training Guide’ for the past 10 years;
• experienced school mentors who are passionate about developing outstanding and confident Newly Qualified Teachers;
• engaging workshops delivered by outstanding and knowledgeable teachers, providing you with a wealth of ideas to inspire pupil learning;
• opportunities to build your confidence in diverse settings, e.g. special school, pupil referral unit and an inner city school where you will be working with pupils with English as an additional language;
• a Postgraduate Certificate in Education, worth 60 Master credits. This provides an ideal opportunity to bring together the very best of school experience and academic study;
• opportunity for you to request a school where you would like to train.
Make us your first choice and train with the best in Essex.
Training with disabilities and other needs
Our aim is to promote and implement an inclusive learning and teaching environment, allowing you to study independently.
We are here to support you and would encourage you to contact us so we can help identify an ‘appropriate adjustments’ to meet your individual needs.
Once you have applied for our course, we are available for you to contact to discuss your particular needs. We have had trainees who have successfully passed our course with visual and hearing impairments, dyslexia, dyspraxia and autistic spectrum conditions.
We understand your needs and will work closely with you to ascertain the impact of your condition on your studies. It may be you need:
• deadlines to be extended;
• workshops to be recorded;
• powerpoint presentations in advance of workshops
• photocopying on coloured paper
• wheelchair access
With your permission, we will ask your mentor to work with you providing support and guidance. We need to ensure that all elements of this training year make ‘reasonable adjustments’ to provide every opportunity for you to succeed.
You can't apply for this course because it currently has no vacancies. To find courses with vacancies, change your search settings to 'Only courses with vacancies'.
Support and advice
For questions about this course you should contact the training provider using the contact details above.
Get support and advice about teaching
Register with Get into Teaching, the Department for Education’s free support and advice service, for personalised guidance from teaching experts. They can help you to prepare your application, book school experience, and access exclusive teaching events. You can also call them free on 0800 389 2500, or speak to an adviser using their online chat service, from 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday.
If you have feedback or have had a problem using Find postgraduate teacher training you can contact us by email.
Is there something wrong with this page?
If there is something wrong with this course listing, contact us by email.