About the course
Our well-established School Direct programme, led by Mottram St Andrew Primary Academy for the Silk Alliance, will give you the benefit of extended training within the school context, with supportive placements in good and outstanding schools. This is combined with the highest quality training from experienced tutors at Manchester University. Silk Alliance believes that the joint partnership between the school and the University gives trainees the best of both worlds.
How school placements work
A strength of our course is the carefully selected range of school placements:
- Guided School placement - 7 weeks
- Secondary placement - 1 week
- Early Years Foundation Stage placement - 2 contrasting schools - 1 week each
- Enquiry placement - school chosen to meet area of interest - 2 weeks
- Final placement - 12 weeks
All placements are organised for students within our partner schools.
The course fees for 2019/2020 are as follows:
- A 2:1 or above honours degree in a non-vocational subject. Vocational subjects may be considered in some circumstances.
- Applicants with a 2:2 honours degree may be considered but must be able to demonstrate evidence of higher academic attainment, e.g., through postgraduate study.
- Two A-levels at grade C or above in non-vocational subjects.
- Minimum grade C or 4 at GCSE (or equivalent) in English language, mathematics and science, plus GCSE grade C in at least three other non-vocational subjects.
Please also see Manchester University
We are looking for candidates with:
- a commitment to and enthusiasm for teaching.
- a rationale for applying to be a primary teacher.
- an awareness of the role and responsibilities of the teacher.
We recommend that applicants spend 5 days observing primary teaching following a UK curriculum prior to attending an interview. However this is not mandatory.
- Comply with fitness to practise/health requirements.
- Comply with an enhanced check through the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Please see also Manchester University
About the training provider
The Silk Alliance is built on the belief that children thrive in schools which seek to encourage both academic and personal growth. We are committed to the notion that outstanding teachers and outstanding leaders make a real difference, and we place a high priority on innovative teaching and learning. Schools within the Silk Alliance are mainly centred within the Macclesfield / Poynton area. Our partners offer expertise in a range of contexts so our trainees will benefit from many different experiences whilst on placement. Mottram St. Andrew Primary Academy is the lead school for the Primary School Direct programme.
About the accredited body
Teacher training at the University of Manchester is rated as outstanding by Ofsted. It is the best university provider of postgraduate teacher training in the North of England (The Good Teacher Training Guide 2017).
Training with disabilities and other needs
Practical support and advice for current students and applicants is available from the Disability Advisory and Support Service. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can't apply for this course because it currently has no vacancies. To find courses with vacancies, change your search settings to 'Only courses with vacancies'.
Support and advice
For questions about this course you should contact the training provider using the contact details above.
Get support and advice about teaching
Register with Get into Teaching, the Department for Education’s free support and advice service, for personalised guidance from teaching experts. They can help you to prepare your application, book school experience, and access exclusive teaching events. You can also call them free on 0800 389 2500, or speak to an adviser using their online chat service, from 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday.
If you have feedback or have had a problem using Find postgraduate teacher training you can contact us by email.
Is there something wrong with this page?
If there is something wrong with this course listing, contact us by email.