About the course
This postgraduate qualification gives you the tools to build a successful career in teaching while providing a holistic view of the profession; you will look at the child, curriculum and teacher. The course will build your confidence in the classroom, your understanding of the wider role a teacher plays and provide you with all the subject knowledge to effectively teach your specialist subject to all age groups of secondary school children.
You will be based in a host school for 32 weeks of the year, which will enable you to develop strong relationships with your school mentor who will oversee your training. You will undertake a short placement in a contrasting school in term 2, and attend lectures and seminars at Roehampton throughout terms 1 and 3. You will be assigned a tutor from Roehampton who will support you with both the practical and academic elements of the course.
You will also be part of a large cohort of trainee teachers in Lambeth and will attend an innovative training programme in local schools led by leading Lambeth teachers.
If you are shortlisted for interview we will ask you to complete a short interview with the senior leadership at the host school, undertake a pupil interaction task, and complete an English written test. We will then notify you within 24 hours to confirm your offer of a place.
How school placements work
Candidates are invited to visit schools in the partnership prior to starting the course and are welcome to express a preference for where they will be placed. In most cases we are able to accommodate these requests. Our schools are all easily accessible by public transport and we will take into account travel times when placing trainees. In most cases you will be teaching 11-16 with opportunities to observe and possibly teach 16-18.
Usually offered at point 1 on the un-qualified teachers' pay scales but may be higher to take into account prior experience
No fees are charged as schools pay tuition fees for salaried candidates
Financial support isn’t available for this course because it comes with a salary.
If you choose a course without a salary, you may be eligible for financial support while you study, including bursaries, scholarships and loans.
- Degree at 2.2 or above
- GCSE English and maths at grade C or above or equivalent. If you do not hold these on applying we will arrange for equivalency testing prior to course start.
We are looking for candidates who are passionate and knowledgeable about their specialist subject and keen to have a positive impact on the lives of young people in the Capital.
You will need to complete a DBS check prior to taking up the offer of a place.
About the training provider
Lambeth is a dynamic and diverse borough in which to get in to teaching. Our schools are passionate about learning and teaching and ambitious for their pupils. Lambeth's young people deserve the best and we aim to deliver this by recruiting and training outstanding candidates for teaching posts in the borough. In return we offer first class training and support in some of the most dynamic, forward thinking and diverse schools in the country.
What we offer:
- Award of PGCE and QTS on all courses
- Enhanced inner London salaries on the salaried school direct route of between £21,000-£27,000
- Highly subsidised accommodation in one of our renovated Victorian school houses
- Exceptional teachers working in our schools who are keen to share their diverse range of skills, knowledge and distinctive teaching methodology with the next generation of teachers.
- Schools that have close partnerships with the range of world class organisations on our doorstep, such as the Royal Festival Hall and the Southbank Centre, Royal Society of Arts, University of Roehampton, London South Bank University, King’s College London University, St Thomas’ University Medical School and the Engineering Development Trust.
- Excellent access to employment opportunities once qualified through our network of Lambeth Schools. All of our trainees in 2017-18 have gone on to secure NQT positions in Lambeth.
About the accredited provider
The School of Education is one of the principal providers of teacher training in the UK, with partnerships of over 350 schools. We have a rich history of over 175 years.
Students enjoy high quality teaching and employment prospects are excellent: 99% of teacher training graduates are in work or study six months after leaving us (Destinations of Leavers of Higher Education 2013/14).
Our beautiful parkland campus in south-west London is only 30 minutes from the West End. Our School is ranked third in London for the quality of our research in the field of education (Research Excellence Framework 2014).
Training with disabilities and other needs
- The majority of our schools have lifts and step free access to teaching spaces.
- We ask all candidates shortlisted for interview to complete a declaration of health form, which enables us, in partnership with the University, to provide bespoke support to trainees with additional health needs
- In the past we have provided additional time in interview tests for trainees with specific needs.
Apply on the UCAS website. You’ll need to register with UCAS before you can apply.
Visit Get into Teaching for guidance on applying for teacher training.
When you apply you’ll need these codes for the Choices section of your application form:
Training provider code:
Training programme code:
Choose a training location
You’ll also need to choose a training location and give the relevant training location code.
||323 Kennington Lane, Kennington, London SE11 5QY
Advice and support
For questions about this course you should contact the training provider using the contact details above.
For advice about teaching
For advice about teaching or teacher training you can call Get into Teaching on Freephone 0800 389 2500 or chat to an adviser using their online chat service between 8am and 8pm, Monday to Friday.
If you have feedback or have had a problem using Find postgraduate teacher training you can contact us by email.
Is there something wrong with this page?
If there is something wrong with this course listing, contact us by email.