About the course
This program is delivered jointly by Learners First Schools Partnership (LFSP) and The University of Huddersfield. You will spend 85% of your time in one of our partner schools, with the other 15% spent attending training sessions facilitated by SLE’s or university tutors. Upon successful completion of the program, you will be awarded QTS and a PGCE.
You will be primarily based at your ‘home’ school, but will be expected to attend to attend training sessions at various local venues.
LFSP offer two School Direct Primary ITT routes – salaried and non-salaried. On the salaried route you are employed by your ‘home’ school and paid on the UQT Scale point 1. Trainees on the salaried route are expected to be able to potentially undertake a higher teaching commitment, with the possibility that they may be given their own class responsibility from the beginning of the program. The salaried route is generally best suited to those trainees that have broad experience within a school setting. On the salaried route the tuition-fee is payable by LFSP; on the non-salaried route it is the responsibility of the trainee to pay the tuition-fee, but subject to eligibility they could access Student Finance if they so wished.
Subject to eligibility checks, you will be invited to attend an interview via UCAS, as well as email invitation from a member of the LFSP team. At your interview, the panel will be a group of SLE’s from our teaching schools and partner schools. There will be a formal interview, and you will also be required to deliver a teaching task. Prior to the interview, you will be made aware of which year group you will deliver your teaching task to. A decision as to whether or not you will be offered a place on this program will be made, and you will be informed of this decision via UCAS.
How school placements work
All school placements are arranged and organised by LFSP, and you will spend time in at least 2 contrasting schools, as well as gaining additional EAL and SEND exposure. Whilst consideration is taken with regards to the location of your placement school/s in relation to your home address, trainees should anticipate that they could possibly have to travel up to 1 hour to reach their placement school. The average travel time to a placement school is 10-30 minutes.
You’ll have the support of mentors in schools who will help you to develop your practice through observations, planning meetings, weekly tutorials, reports and in-depth lesson evaluations.
Your university tutor will visit you in school to guide, support and evaluate your progress. There is an emphasis on practical engagement with the curriculum whilst developing your understanding of the theoretical perspectives which underpin the best models of classroom practice.
- UQT Scale point 1
- The tuition-fees for LFSP School Direct salaried routes are payable by LFSP
Financial support isn’t available for this course because it comes with a salary.
If you choose a course without a salary, you may be eligible for financial support while you study, including bursaries, scholarships and loans.
- UK BA/BSc degree (or equivalent) 2.2 or above
- English, Science & Maths GCSEs Grade C/4 or above (or equivalents)
- High level of motivation
- Strong work ethic
- Potential to become an effective classroom leader
- Good communicator and listener
- Patience, adaptability, resilience, team-work, imagination
- Positive expectations
- Be organized, and have great time management
Let us know why you want to teach, and provide evidence that you understand the rewards and challenges of teaching. Previous experience is not compulsory, but if you do have relevant work/voluntary experience, please include this on your application. Tell us about the range of relevant abilities and skills you can bring to teaching.
Satisfactory enhanced DBS clearance
About the training provider
Learners First Schools Partnership is an inclusive, not-for-profit teaching school partnership of over 200 schools and academies. Learners First is a large, well established and successful partnership covering all phases (0-19) and school contexts with a proven track record across all key performance indicators. Learners First is based in South Yorkshire and much of its work takes place across this area but the partnership has strong connections with many other schools, academies, multi academy trusts, teaching schools and system leaders from across the country.
Learners First provides high quality, relevant professional development and facilitates opportunities for forward thinking research and school-to-school support to promote meaningful collaboration and school improvement.
School Direct is an ever increasingly popular alternative route into teaching which is more school-based and school-led than a traditional one year PGCE.
85% of the programme is spent in at least 2 schools training, teaching and observing lessons and best practice. The remaining 15% is spent at one of our partner HEIs' studying for the PGCE element of the programme. The school based part of the programme is bespoke to the individual, and there's a full and comprehensive support network for each trainee. Graduating the programme means the award of QTS and PGCE.
Upon graduation via the School Direct route, there is the intention to offer graduates their first job as a teacher. Over the past 2 years 96% of Learners First School Direct graduates have been offered employment within our partnership of schools.
About the accredited body
The University of Huddersfield has an impressive track record of producing highly skilled teachers for the early years, primary, secondary and lifelong learning (post-16) sectors.
UoH operates strong and credible partnerships with local and national education providers, including leading The Education and Training Consortium consisting of 21 regional partners. The academics, researchers and partners within schools and colleges work to ensure trainees are able to equip themselves with the most relevant and up to date skills needed within the workplace.
Join an inspiring, passionate and committed community focused on making your studies as enjoyable, rewarding and productive as possible.
Training with disabilities and other needs
Learners First Schools Partnership (LFSP) is committed to promoting disability equality, eliminating unlawful discrimination in all of its activities and working towards ensuring that all trainees with disabilities realise their potential. LFSP values the diversity of its trainee population and is committed to ensuring that the highest equality and diversity standards are maintained.
Apply on the UCAS website. You’ll need to register with UCAS before you can apply.
Visit Get into Teaching for guidance on applying for teacher training.
When you apply you’ll need these codes for the Choices section of your application form:
Training provider code:
Training programme code:
Choose a training location
You’ll also need to choose a training location – select the relevant location name on the application form.
Bawtry Road, Wickersley, Rotherham S66 1JL
Support and advice
For questions about this course you should contact the training provider using the contact details above.
Get support and advice about teaching
Register with Get into Teaching, the Department for Education’s free support and advice service, for personalised guidance from teaching experts. They can help you to prepare your application, book school experience, and access exclusive teaching events. You can also call them free on 0800 389 2500, or speak to an adviser using their online chat service, from 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday.
If you have feedback or have had a problem using Find postgraduate teacher training you can contact us by email.
Is there something wrong with this page?
If there is something wrong with this course listing, contact us by email.