About the course
Our School Direct PGCE programme offers trainees the opportunity to spend 32 weeks in their host school, with a short second placement in a contrasting school. Trainees are supported by their school based mentor and university tutor, and spend one day a week at University. The PGCE consists of three written assignments spread across the year, and QTS is achieved through evidencing teaching and learning in school. We also offer a programme of Lambeth based training sessions led by leading Lambeth teachers across our network of outstanding schools.
The interview consists of a short panel interview with the senior leadership of the host school and a 15 minute literacy or numeracy based pupil interaction task with a small group of pupils.
We will also ask to see copies of your GCSE or equivalent exam results, degree certificates and ID documents at interview. We will notify candidates of the outcome of the interview within 24 hours.
How school placements work
You will spend 32 weeks in your host class and 6 weeks in a second placement in our alliance of schools. Candidates can specify a preferred Key Stage they wish to spend the majority of time teaching in although trainees will gain experience in all three key stages during the training year.
Minimum U1 on inner London scale
Financial support isn’t available for this course because it comes with a salary.
If you choose a course without a salary, you may be eligible for financial support while you study, including bursaries, scholarships and loans.
An honours degree, GCSE grade C or equivalent in English Maths and Science. We will accept applications from candidates who will need to take equivalency tests after applying.
About the training provider
Lambeth is a dynamic and diverse borough in which to get in to teaching. Our schools are passionate about learning and teaching and ambitious for their pupils. Lambeth's young people deserve the best and we aim to deliver this by recruiting and training outstanding candidates for teaching posts in the borough. In return we offer first class training and support in some of the most dynamic, forward thinking and diverse schools in the country.
What we offer:
- Award of PGCE and QTS on all courses
- Enhanced inner London salaries on the salaried school direct route of between £21,000-£27,000
- Heavily subsidised accommodation in one of our renovated Victorian school houses
- Exceptional teachers working in our schools who are keen to share their diverse range of skills, knowledge and distinctive teaching methodology with the next generation of teachers.
- Schools that have close partnerships with the range of world class organisations on our doorstep, such as the Royal Festival Hall and the Southbank Centre, Royal Society of Arts, University of Roehampton, London South Bank University, King’s College London University, St Thomas’ University Medical School and the Engineering Development Trust.
- Excellent access to employment opportunities once qualified through our network of Lambeth Schools. 90% of our trainee cohort 2018-19 have gone on to secure NQT positions in Lambeth schools.
About the accredited body
This course enables you to become an effective, inclusive and evidence informed teacher. We are committed to personalising your journey to Qualified Teacher Status, we'll help you to grow in confidence and competence by providing you with outstanding support as you train. We have high student satisfaction rates, as evidenced in the Guardian University League table for Education.
The University and partnership schools provide a supportive learning environment helping you develop a deep understanding of the primary curriculum and acquire a range of teaching methods, based upon the latest research in education.
Training with disabilities and other needs
- The majority of our schools have lifts and step free access to teaching spaces.
- We ask all candidates shortlisted for interview to complete a declaration of health form, which enables us, in partnership with the University, to provide bespoke support to trainees with additional health needs
- In the past we have provided additional time in interview tests for trainees with specific needs.
Apply for this course
Choose a training location
You’ll also need to choose a training location – select the relevant location name on the application form.
Lambeth SE11 5LG
Support and advice
For questions about this course you should contact the training provider using the contact details above.
Get support and advice about teaching
Register with Get into Teaching, the Department for Education’s free support and advice service, for personalised guidance from teaching experts. They can help you to prepare your application, book school experience, and access exclusive teaching events. You can also call them free of charge on 0800 389 2500, or speak to an adviser using their online chat service, from 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday.
If you have feedback or have had a problem using Find postgraduate teacher training you can contact us by email.
Is there something wrong with this page?
If there is something wrong with this course listing, contact us by email.