About the course
This modular programme runs for one year and is available to high quality graduates. Successful completion will lead to the award of a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) and the award of Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Candidates are entitled to a tuition fee loan and may be eligible for a bursary.
The tuition fee programme offers:
- full-time school-based training with University of Greenwich
- placement in two Good or Outstanding local schools from the Heronsgate hub
- approximately 20 weeks in school with remaining time at university
- visits by your own personal tutor
- choice to specialise in EYFS, KS1 or KS2
- support by mentors and experienced teachers
How school placements work
There will be two teaching practices during your training year- an initial placement from November to February and a final placement from April to June. These will be in consecutive phases i.e. EYFS and KS1.
You will also have a two week child, school & community placement at Heronsgate in September. Trainees will normally be placed in two of the following Greenwich primary schools: Heronsgate, Ealdham, Hawksmoor, Bishop John Robinson, St Margaret Clitherow, Plumcroft, Windrush or Wyborne.
The course fees for 2019/2020 are as follows:
Candidates must have:
- A good honours degree (2:2 or above) or an equivalent qualification certified by NARIC.
- English, Maths and Science GCSE or equivalent: Grade C or above or equivalent qualifications certified by NARIC.
- Written letter detailing evidence of at least two weeks experience in a UK primary school
- At least 3 years recent full-time work experience (for salaried programme only)
- Passed both the Literacy and Numeracy DfE Professional Skills Tests before the training programme begins
We are looking for candidates who:
- have a passion for learning
- have a desire and determination to make a difference to the lives of children in our local area
- can make a unique and positive contribution to the community
- have an excellent ability to communicate with children and adults
- possess excellent self organisational skills and ICT skills
- have good written and spoken English
About the training provider
Our existing teachers, trainees and pupils have access to the very best learning opportunities. It is the aim of Heronsgate Hub to inspire pupils and we endeavour to help them reach their fullest potential academically and socially. We do this by providing shared experiences in learning and believe the cultural diversity of our community and our pupils are our greatest assets.
Heronsgate Primary School, working with Royal Greenwich Teaching School Alliance, take a leading role in co-ordinating teacher training.
Across our Alliance we are hosting a number of School Direct places each year in partnership with the University of Greenwich. This path into teaching is a great way to gain the qualifications and practical skills you need to become a teacher. We offer School Direct salaried and tuition-fee funded routes into teaching.
Joining our Heronsgate Hub programme provides a more practical, hands-on learning experience supported by outstanding teachers. You will also benefit from the immediate immersion in school life and the chance to build lasting relationships with students and colleagues.
About the accredited body
We have developed a very strong partnership with the University of Greenwich over the years. Our tuition-fee funded PGCE trainees are supported and guided by Heronsgate Hub schools (all schools in the hub are graded good to outstanding by OFSTED) during their initial and final placements and receive pedagogical teaching at the University of Greenwich.
Training with disabilities and other needs
We welcome applications from disabled people and are committed to helping disabled students succeed.
Apply on the UCAS website. You’ll need to register with UCAS before you can apply.
Visit Get into Teaching for guidance on applying for teacher training.
When you apply you’ll need these codes for the Choices section of your application form:
Training provider code:
Training programme code:
Choose a training location
You’ll also need to choose a training location – select the relevant location name on the application form.
Heronsgate Primary School, Whinchat Road, Broadwaters, London SE28 0EA
Support and advice
For questions about this course you should contact the training provider using the contact details above.
Get support and advice about teaching
Register with Get into Teaching, the Department for Education’s free support and advice service, for personalised guidance from teaching experts. They can help you to prepare your application, book school experience, and access exclusive teaching events. You can also call them free on 0800 389 2500, or speak to an adviser using their online chat service, from 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday.
If you have feedback or have had a problem using Find postgraduate teacher training you can contact us by email.
Is there something wrong with this page?
If there is something wrong with this course listing, contact us by email.