About the course
This programme is an employment-based route available to high-quality graduates with at least three years’ work experience who will earn a salary during the year’s training. This non-modular programme runs for one year and successful completion will lead to the award of Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) only.
The salaried programme offers:
- school-based training, with 23 days spent at the University of Greenwich
choice to specialise in EYFS, KS1 or KS2
- a experienced personal tutor who will support you throughout your year
- a personalised training plan, tailored to the needs of the student
- support from trained mentors and the chance to work as part of the school team
We only offer a very small number of places onto this programme so advise early application.
How school placements work
Students will be placed at Heronsgate Primary School during the year but will get to experience teaching practice across the key stages with a half-term placement at another local good or outstanding school.
The salary will be calculated using the unqualified teacher's pay scales.
There is no fee for this course.
Financial support isn’t available for this course because it comes with a salary.
If you choose a course without a salary, you may be eligible for financial support while you study, including bursaries, scholarships and loans.
Candidates must have:
- A good honours degree (2:2 or above) or an equivalent qualification certified by NARIC.
- English, Maths and Science GCSE or equivalent: Grade C or above or equivalent qualifications certified by NARIC.
- Written letter detailing evidence of at least two weeks experience in a UK primary school
- At least 3 years recent full-time work experience (for salaried programme only)
- Passed both the Literacy and Numeracy DfE Professional Skills Tests before the training programme begins
We are looking for candidates who:
- have a passion for learning
- have a desire and determination to make a difference to the lives of children in our local area
- can make a unique and positive contribution to the community
- have an excellent ability to communicate with children and adults
- possess excellent self organisational skills and ICT skills
- have good written and spoken English
About the training provider
Our existing teachers, trainees and pupils have access to the very best learning opportunities. It is the aim of Heronsgate Hub to inspire pupils and we endeavour to help them reach their fullest potential academically and socially. We do this by providing shared experiences in learning and believe the cultural diversity of our community and our pupils are our greatest assets.
Heronsgate Primary School, working with Royal Greenwich Teaching School Alliance, take a leading role in co-ordinating teacher training.
Across our Alliance we are hosting a number of School Direct places each year in partnership with the University of Greenwich. This path into teaching is a great way to gain the qualifications and practical skills you need to become a teacher. We offer School Direct salaried and tuition-fee funded routes into teaching.
Joining our Heronsgate Hub programme provides a more practical, hands-on learning experience supported by outstanding teachers. You will also benefit from the immediate immersion in school life and the chance to build lasting relationships with students and colleagues.
About the accredited provider
We have developed a very strong partnership with the University of Greenwich over the years. Our tuition-fee funded PGCE trainees are supported and guided by Heronsgate Hub schools (all schools in the hub are graded good to outstanding by OFSTED) during their initial and final placements and receive pedagogical teaching at the University of Greenwich.
Training with disabilities and other needs
We welcome applications from disabled people and are committed to helping disabled students succeed.
Apply on the UCAS website. You’ll need to register with UCAS before you can apply.
Visit Get into Teaching for guidance on applying for teacher training.
When you apply you’ll need these codes for the Choices section of your application form:
Training provider code:
Training programme code:
Choose a training location
You’ll also need to choose a training location and give the relevant training location code.
||Heronsgate Primary School, Whinchat Road, Broadwaters, London SE28 0EA
Advice and support
For questions about this course you should contact the training provider using the contact details above.
For advice about teaching
For advice about teaching or teacher training you can call Get into Teaching on Freephone 0800 389 2500 or chat to an adviser using their online chat service between 8am and 8pm, Monday to Friday.
If you have feedback or have had a problem using Find postgraduate teacher training you can contact us by email.
Is there something wrong with this page?
If there is something wrong with this course listing, contact us by email.