About the course
Ark Teacher Training’s purpose is to transform children’s lives through education, regardless of their circumstances or background. We are committed to providing the highest quality professional learning for trainee teachers, supporting them to have the biggest impact in the classroom and providing an excellent foundation for a successful career in education.
Ark's approach to primary teaching is based around 'depth for breadth': the idea that firm foundations in English and Maths allow pupils to access the rest of the curriculum more easily.
We also dedicate more time to literacy and English to encourage a love of reading and to develop fluent communication skills. We have two programmes that focus specifically on phonics teaching and early spoken language skills. As a primary trainee, you would be trained to be aware of possible barriers to learning and how to support children if more help is needed.
In terms of maths, we have pioneered Mathematics Mastery - an approach which draws on international best practice, particularly from Singapore, to emphasise the cumulative mastery of the essential knowledge and skills in maths. The programme has now been rolled out beyond the network, and works with over 100 partner schools, such has been its success.
In addition to learning how to teach English and mathematics to primary students, you will also have the opportunity throughout the year to develop your teaching practice across a wide variety of subjects from history to PE.
Through your time in school and your subject-specific training sessions, you will develop the skills you need to help children succeed across the curriculum.
Once you've checked that you're eligible, you can either submit your application directly through the UCAS portal or use our ‘Apply Now’ form, which is available on our website. We will then assess your application and let you know whether or not you meet our programme criteria. Applicants who meet our criteria will be sent two online tests to complete: a situational judgement assessment and a subject knowledge test.
Successful applicants after this stage will proceed to the final school-based assessment. Our team will use the information we have about you to match you to one of our training schools, and this final stage will take place there. It will involve you teaching a short lesson, a subject knowledge test and a final interview with senior staff and subject lead. We’ll let you know the outcome shortly after this date, and will ask you to complete your UCAS form if not already so we can finalise our decision through the UCAS portal.
How school placements work
Your training school, in London, Birmingham, Hastings or Portsmouth, will be matched to your particular profile as a candidate, while taking into account your commuting distance and funding/subject preferences (and availability on our programme).
The training programme is 100% school-based, but you will come out of school to spend a half day every week in a session with your Ark tutor and other trainees from the network.
You’ll also obtain experience in different schools throughout the year; you’ll have a contrasting school placement lasting 2 weeks, in a school very different to your own, and which you will have significant input into choosing (for example, it might be a Pupil Referral Unit, an independent school, etc). You’ll also get to participate in a series of visits to a range of educational settings.
The course fees for 2020/2021 are as follows:
- On the tuition fee route you will be responsible for paying your own tuition fee of £9,250 to Ark Teacher Training, whether or not you are eligible for a Department for Education bursary.
- To see if you're eligible for a tax-free government bursary, click HERE.
- As long as you're eligible, you can register with Student Finance to give you a a student loan to help you with payment of the tuition fee while you train, so that you don't have to worry about it during the training year. Click HERE to check if you are eligible.
- Any questions relating to your tuition fee payment through the Student Finance should be directed to them, as Ark Teacher Training does not control this.
Click here for a full overview of our qualification requirements.
- If you studied overseas, consult NARIC before applying.
- Certain entry requirements for teacher training are set by the government and all applicants must comply.
- Others are specific to a training provider, and we have listed ours below.
Ark Teacher Training requirements:
- a 2:2 degree or higher
- good A-levels (B+ in 2 or more)
- either your degree or an A-level in the subject you wish to train in (for subject knowledge purposes / your readiness to start!)
Our applicants have a huge variety of experience between them, all of which can be used in the classroom.
However, there are some qualities we know all successful trainees have, regardless of their background or experience; we look for these at assessment:
- Alignment with Ark’s values and ethos
- Some experience with young people (doesn't have to be in a school)
- Great communication skills
- Resilience (teaching is hard!)
- Curiosity and eagerness to learn
- Self-awareness and keenness to hear/act on feedback (you'll receive a lot on our programme, every week!)
There's a great deal to think about when you make the decision to train as a teacher: it's an intensive year, but on Ark Teacher Training you'll be well-supported and have plenty of time with your fellow trainees for moral support every week.
If you have questions about areas not covered in this search tool so far, our website covers a lot of specific information on our programme. Check out our 'Frequently Asked Questions' if you can't find what you're looking for!
About the training provider
Ark Teacher Training is an Outstanding programme that allows graduates and career changers to become highly-effective, inspiring teachers, learning from some of the best educators in the profession.
We work in low income areas with a history of academic underachievement, striving for the best outcomes for all our pupils, regardless of their background. According to the Department for Education, Ark makes the biggest difference in transforming the lives of disadvantaged students out of all the major school groups.
- Classroom teaching: from day one, you’ll be in the classroom so you can have an impact straight away. Your tutor and coach will support you to build up your independent teaching time during the year.
- School orientation experience: before your course starts, spend time in your school meeting your new colleagues and interacting with pupils so you can hit the ground running in September.
- Summer School: all new trainees come together over two weeks in August for an introduction to the programme, our schools and the principles of great teaching. You’ll also cover the essential elements of behaviour management, so you are ready for day one.
- Weekly coaching and learning to plan: every week you'll be observed by your in-school coach, so they can offer you positive feedback and bite-sized improvement targets.
- Your trained lead planner will help you create effective lessons, developing your planning skills and giving you the opportunity to ask detailed subject -knowledge questions.
- Weekly training: in-person training sessions with your tutors/peers.
About the accredited body
As well as Newly Qualified Teacher status, you will also finish the year having obtained a PGCE, which is an internationally recognised qualification and carries 60 Masters-level credits.
- Ark Teacher Training is the accrediting provider of your QTS.
- Goldsmiths University is the accrediting provider of your PGCE.
Training with disabilities and other needs
We want to make sure that our training programme is open to everybody, so if you have a disability we will make every reasonable adjustment to accommodate you throughout the recruitment process, as well as during the training programme if you are offered a place.
Please provide us with details if you would like us to make any adjustments for you on the assessment day. This will in no way affect the outcome of your application.
Whenever we build new schools, we ensure they have wheelchair access to classrooms. However, when an existing school joins the network, we have to work with the existing buildings and these can sometimes have limited accessibility.
Your PGCE qualification is accredited by Goldsmiths, University of London. The majority of your training sessions will take place in one of our schools, however, you will still have access to the online journals, library facilities and student support services provided by Goldsmiths.
Apply for this course
Choose a training location
You’ll also need to choose a training location – select the relevant location name on the application form.
Ark Teacher Training Primary - Birmingham
Birmingham: Small Heath, Kings Norton and Moseley B12 0YH
Ark Teacher Training Primary - Hastings
Hastings: various TN34 2PG
Ark Teacher Training Primary - London
London: various NW1 6RX
Ark Teacher Training Primary - Portsmouth
Portsmouth: various PO5 4HL
Support and advice
For questions about this course you should contact the training provider using the contact details above.
Get support and advice about teaching
Register with Get into Teaching, the Department for Education’s free support and advice service, for personalised guidance from teaching experts. They can help you to prepare your application, book school experience, and access exclusive teaching events. You can also call them free of charge on 0800 389 2500, or speak to an adviser using their online chat service, from 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday.
If you have feedback or have had a problem using Find postgraduate teacher training you can contact us by email.
Is there something wrong with this page?
If there is something wrong with this course listing, contact us by email.