About the course
About this course
Please visit our website at www.southbirminghamscitt.org.uk for further information and a map of our whole partnership
- Full time; September to July
- 1 day in Professional Studies training (Solihull Campus - Our training suite is located at The Sixth Form College Solihull – 5 minutes from the centre of Solihull and 20 minutes from Birmingham City Centre
- 4 days in placement
- Placement schools allocated primarily upon the location of trainee
- Professional Studies includes subject pedagogy (occasionally these are held at the CPTSA and BCU Campus), research and reflective practice, routines & behaviour, teaching & learning strategies, meeting all children’s needs, the importance of assessment, understanding of the wider educational context
- Trainees become reflective practitioners with specific targets to move their practice forwards
- Weekly reflection of teaching practice collates evidence against the Teachers Standards to be awarded Qualified Teachers Status (QTS)
- 4 research assignments (3000 words each - Nov, Feb, May and Oct submission)
- 80 L7 Credits towards a Masters in Teaching and Learning (this is more than a PGCertEd)
- Ongoing early career development … including the opportunity to complete the PGDipEd at the end of the NQT year and the full Masters in subsequent year(s)
- Expert support via School Based Trainers, Professional Tutors, Subject Tutors, Ex-Trainees and BCU Tutors – and cohort peers!
Our programmes are all the same whether they are through our SCITT or our School Direct Partners.
South Birmingham SCITT
Colmore Primary Teaching School Alliance
Ninestiles Teaching School Alliance
The Augustine Partnership
Waverley Teaching School
Apply through UCAS
- Formal panel interview
- Delivery of a 20 minute pre planned learning activity
- Subject Knowledge Baseline (to enable us to identify any specific gaps in knowledge)
- Professional Skills Mocks (if you haven’t already got them, this is to enable us to support you with any potential gaps)
- 5 minute presentation about yourself
Your interview will take place in one of our Partnership Schools (but not necessarily the one you will be placed in!). You will have the opportunity to meet School Direct Leads, the SCITT Course Manager / Director and colleagues from the partnership.
We will inform you of our decision within 48 hours
Check out our website – (www.southbirminghamscitt.org.uk)
How school placements work
School placements are based on two factors. The first is the location of the trainee. We want to ensure that your travel time is accessible and not too time constraining. The second is the availability of a Partnership school in your location. We always limit travel time to no more than 1 hour from home.
We have a map of all our Primary and Secondary schools on our website (www.southbirminghamscitt.org.uk). We have 37 Primary Schools and 30 Secondary Schools to choose placements from.
The majority of our trainees stay in their first allocated placement for the Autumn and Summer Term, completing their second placement in the Spring Term. We need to ensure that the second placement will give you a contrasting experience, so this may mean a slightly different journey for you – but we will always ensure that it is accessible, for example if you don’t drive.
Unqualified teachers' pay to be agreed with school
Financial support isn’t available for this course because it comes with a salary.
If you choose a course without a salary, you may be eligible for financial support while you study, including bursaries, scholarships and loans.
GCSE Mathematics, GCSE English Language – or equivalent – Grade C/4 or above.
Degree (1, 2:1, 2:2, 3) - as a guide we would expect to see 50% of your degree and / or the ALevels that you took to be relevant to the subject in which you’re applying.
Professional Skills tests.
Please note all applications are individually assessed. Please contact us if you would like to discuss your entry qualifications.
Check out our website – (www.southbirminghamscitt.org.uk)
If you studied outside of the UK, you will need to visit NARIC, as a certificate of proof for equivalence will need to be attained.
We do not expect you to have school experience upon application - But if you would like to gain some please get in touch and we will arrange this for you.
A condition of your offer will be the successful completion of all Safeguarding procedures.
You will be asked to complete an Occupational Health Questionnaire
About the training provider
NTSA celebrates the rich and diverse school communities that make up our schools. Sharing, listening to and respecting each other’s views. We support each other, honouring our different backgrounds, to create a safe and equal environment for all. We are fiercely ambitious for all our pupils and challenge them to do their best, every lesson, every day. Curiosity is the engine of intellectual achievement. The life of a curious person is never boring!
Under the School Direct programme we are working in partnership with The South Birmingham SCITT and are proud to be working together to provide an innovative and creative route into teaching.
- Primary and Secondary Teacher Training
- School – Led (SCITT and Schools Direct)
- Learn from real teachers in real classrooms
- 100% employment rates
- Bespoke programme offering high levels of support to enable you to reach your full potential
- Qualified Teacher Status and Post Graduate Qualification (MA Level7 x 80)
- 1 day in training, 4 days in placement
- 50+ exciting and innovative schools in Birmingham and its surrounding areas
- Strategic partners of a number of Teaching Schools to secure individuals early career entry and opportunities into leadership
- 16 years’ experience training new teachers
- Recognised locally and nationally for its strong provision
- Highly skilled practitioners to ensure high quality learning for the trainee
- NQTs consistently rate us in the top 10 providers via the Good Teacher Training Guide
Training with disabilities and other needs
A condition of your offer will be the successful completion of an Occupational Health Check to satisfy the requirements for Fitness to Teach.
We endeavour to meet the needs of trainees with disabilities and you are welcome to discuss any needs or disabilities with us at any time during the application process.
If you are disabled or have a specific learning difficulty, all reasonable adjustments will be made.
You can't apply for this course because it currently has no vacancies. To find courses with vacancies, change your search settings to 'Only courses with vacancies'.
Support and advice
For questions about this course you should contact the training provider using the contact details above.
Get support and advice about teaching
Register with Get into Teaching, the Department for Education’s free support and advice service, for personalised guidance from teaching experts. They can help you to prepare your application, book school experience, and access exclusive teaching events. You can also call them free on 0800 389 2500, or speak to an adviser using their online chat service, from 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday.
If you have feedback or have had a problem using Find postgraduate teacher training you can contact us by email.
Is there something wrong with this page?
If there is something wrong with this course listing, contact us by email.