About the course
Please visit our website at www.southbirminghamscitt.org.uk for further information and a map of our whole partnership
- Full time; September to July
- 1 day in Professional Studies training (Solihull Campus - Our training suite is located at The Sixth Form College Solihull – 5 minutes from the centre of Solihull and 20 minutes from Birmingham City Centre
- 4 days in placement
- Placement schools allocated primarily upon the location of trainee
- Professional Studies includes subject pedagogy (occasionally these are held at the BCU Campus), research and reflective practice, routines & behaviour, teaching & learning strategies, meeting all children’s needs, the importance of assessment, understanding of the wider educational context
- Trainees become reflective practitioners with specific targets to move their practice forwards
- Weekly reflection of teaching practice collates evidence against the Teachers Standards to be awarded Qualified Teachers Status (QTS)
- 4 research assignments (3000 words each - Nov, Feb, May and Oct submission)
- 80 L7 Credits towards a Masters in Teaching and Learning (this is more than a PGCertEd!)
- Ongoing early career development … including the opportunity to complete the PGDipEd at the end of the NQT year and the full Masters in subsequent year(s)
- One-to-one support in securing your teaching career
- Expert support via School Based Trainers, Professional Tutors, Subject Tutors, Ex-Trainees and BCU Tutors – and cohort peers!
Our programmes are all the same whether they are through our SCITT or our School Direct Partners.
South Birmingham SCITT
Colmore Partnership Teaching School Alliance
Summit Learning Trust
The Augustine Partnership
Apply through UCAS
- Formal panel interview
- Talk through a pre-prepared 20 minute learning activity showing the intended impact on students
- Subject Knowledge Baseline (to enable us to identify any specific gaps in knowledge)
- Literacy and Numeracy assessments (to inform us of support needed to ensure fundamental skills are in place)
- 5 minute presentation about yourself
- Written reflection on the learning activity
Interviews will take place at Solihull Sixth Form College. You will have the opportunity to meet School Direct Leads, the SCITT Course Manager / Director and colleagues from the partnership.
We will inform you of our decision within 48 hours
Check out our website – www.southbirminghamscitt.org.uk
How school placements work
School placements are based on two factors. The first is the home address of the trainee. We want to ensure that your travel time is accessible and not too time constraining. The second is the availability of a Partnership school in your location. We always limit travel time to no more than 1 hour from home. We will let you know your placement as soon as possible.
We have a map of all our Primary and Secondary schools on our website
- www.southbirminghamscitt.org.uk We have a wide selection of Primary and Secondary Schools to choose placements from - new schools ask to join us all the time!
The majority of our trainees stay in their first allocated placement for the Autumn and Summer Terms, completing their second placement in the first half of the Spring Term. We need to ensure that the second placement will give you a contrasting experience - this may mean different size, socio-economic catchment, faith/non-faith for example. This will mean a slightly different journey for you, but we will always ensure that it is accessible, for example if you don’t drive.
The course fees for 2020/2021 are as follows:
£9250 tuition fee – you may be eligible for a student loan
Subject dependent training bursaries may be available
You’ll get a bursary of £12,000 if you have a degree of 2:2 or above in any subject.
You don’t have to apply for a bursary - if you’re eligible, you’ll automatically start receiving it once you begin your course. Find out about eligibility and how you’ll be paid.
You may also be eligible for a loan while you study.
Find out about financial support if you’re from outside the UK.
- GCSE Mathematics – or equivalent – Grade C/4 or above
- GCSE English Language – or equivalent – Grade C/4 or above
- Degree (1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd)
- As a guide we would expect to see 50% of your degree and / or the ALevels that you took to be relevant to the subject in which you’re applying
Please note all applications are individually assessed. Please contact us if you would like to discuss your entry qualifications.
- Sense of humour
- Reflective practice
Check out our website – www.southbirminghamscitt.org.uk
If you studied outside of the UK, you will need to visit NARIC (www.naric.org.uk), as a certificate of proof for equivalence will need to be obtained.
We do not expect you to have school experience upon application. But if you would like to gain some please get in touch and we will arrange this for you.
A condition of your offer will be the successful completion of all Safeguarding procedures.
You will be asked to complete an Occupational Health Questionnaire
About the training provider
Summit Learning Trust celebrates the rich and diverse communities that make up our schools; sharing, listening to and respecting each other’s views. We support each other, honouring our different backgrounds, to create a safe and equal environment for all. We are fiercely ambitious for all our pupils and challenge them to do their best, every lesson, every day. Curiosity is the engine of intellectual achievement. The life of a curious person is never boring!
Under the School Direct programme we work in partnership with The South Birmingham SCITT and are proud to work together to provide an innovative and creative route into teaching.
- Primary and Secondary Teacher Training
- School – Led (SCITT and School Direct)
- Learn from real teachers in real classrooms
- 100% employment rates
- Bespoke programme offering high levels of support to enable you to reach your full potential
- Qualified Teacher Status and Post Graduate Certificate in Education (MA Level7 x 80)
- 1 day in training, 4 days in placement
- 50+ exciting, innovative schools in Birmingham and surrounding areas
- Strategic partners of a number of Teaching Schools to secure individuals' early career entry and opportunities into leadership
- 17 years’ experience training teachers
- Recognised locally and nationally for strong provision
- The West Midlands provider of Future Scholars and Researchers in Schools Programmes
- Highly skilled practitioners ensuring high quality learning for trainees
- NQTs consistently rate us in the top 10 providers via the Good Teacher Training Guide
Training with disabilities and other needs
A condition of your offer will be the successful completion of an Occupational Health Check to satisfy the requirements for Fitness to Teach.
We endeavour to meet the needs of trainees with disabilities and you are welcome to discuss any needs or disabilities with us at any time during the application process.
If you are disabled or have a specific learning difficulty, all reasonable adjustments will be made.
Apply on the UCAS website. You’ll need to register with UCAS before you can apply.
Visit Get into Teaching for guidance on applying for teacher training.
When you apply you’ll need these codes for the Choices section of your application form:
Training provider code:
Training programme code:
Choose a training location
You’ll also need to choose a training location – select the relevant location name on the application form.
Hartfield Crescent, Acocks Green, Birmingham B27 7QG
Support and advice
For questions about this course you should contact the training provider using the contact details above.
Get support and advice about teaching
Register with Get into Teaching, the Department for Education’s free support and advice service, for personalised guidance from teaching experts. They can help you to prepare your application, book school experience, and access exclusive teaching events. You can also call them free on 0800 389 2500, or speak to an adviser using their online chat service, from 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday.
If you have feedback or have had a problem using Find postgraduate teacher training you can contact us by email.
Is there something wrong with this page?
If there is something wrong with this course listing, contact us by email.