About the course
We offer the School Direct route into initial teacher training – a school based approach to learning to teach.
You will graduate alongside, and with the same certificate as those who follow the traditional PGCE route through university, but with the benefit of experiencing the support of highly experienced teachers and mentors, coaching and supporting you along the rich and varied path to becoming a newly qualified teacher.
You will have :
- A main placement school with an experienced mentor in your subject area
- Weekly meetings with your mentor
- Weekly professional development time with other trainee teachers on our courses
- A contrasting second placement school to expand your experience and network of colleagues
- Weekly guidance and prompts to help you stay on track
- Opportunities to contribute to the wider life and ethos of the school
- Weekly sessions at Sheffield Hallam University
To see what some of our past trainees have said about our courses, please click here https://www.learningfields.org.uk/page/?title=Quotes+from+Current+and+Past+Trainees&pid=26
The interview process will include
- An introduction to our Teaching School staff
- A presentation about our Teaching School offer
- A tour of Tapton School
- A written communications task
- A subject knowledge task
- Teaching a mini lesson
- A formal interview
We will ask you to bring along some photo identification and your qualification certificates for checking.
We will communicate the outcome of the interview via email within three working days. If you have been successful, we will make you aware of all of the next steps that will need to take place before the start of the course in September 2020.
How school placements work
We have numerous partner schools within our alliance and we discuss your preference on your interview day so that wherever possible we can try to ensure that your main placement school is agreeable to you. You will start in your main school in September and remain until the Christmas half term.
You then visit a second school. We organise this in order to provide you with a contrasting and enriching placement to deepen your experience. This will be for 6 weeks. In some cases this will also include some sixth form teaching if that has not been possible in your main placement.
You then return to your main school and complete the course in June.
The course fees for 2020/2021 are as follows:
You’ll get a bursary of £9,000 if you have a degree of 2:2 or above in any subject.
You don’t have to apply for a bursary - if you’re eligible, you’ll automatically start receiving it once you begin your course. Find out about eligibility and how you’ll be paid.
You may also be eligible for a loan while you study.
Find out about financial support if you’re from outside the UK.
Anyone with a degree can apply to train on a School Direct programme.
You will need to have GSCE grade C/4 or above in English and Maths.
About the training provider
With Fields of Learning you will receive a rich classroom based PGCE experience accredited through Sheffield Hallam University working with an outstanding team of supportive and highly experienced teachers and fully accredited mentors with a reputation for being the best practitioners in their fields.
- You will play a full role in school life and we will value your fresh subject experience, energy and new perspectives
- The support you receive from recruitment onwards, ensures that your professional learning is personalised
- We guarantee a diverse and contrasting range of experiences and your training will be enriched by a stimulating second placement - bespoke to meet your needs and interests
- 89% of our trainees received a good or outstanding grade at the end of the course last year
- The intention to employ within our alliance for our most successful beginner teachers is high. Typically our trainees secure immediate employment at the end of the course
We also offer a comprehensive School Experience Programme designed to give you a flavour of what life is like in a school. If you wish to gain some experience in a secondary school please register or log in at Get into Teaching and find us from the list.
Alternatively you may wish to gain experience in a primary school you can find out about this by emailing email@example.com
About the accredited body
You will enjoy the opportunity to work with Sheffield Hallam University, the accredited provider for our programme that is among the UKs foremost providers of initial teacher education. Sheffield has an abundance of facilities and attractions for students and post graduates https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-hereFor more information on Sheffield Hallam University please visit their website https://www.shu.ac.uk/about-us
You can't apply for this course because it currently has no vacancies. To find courses with vacancies, change your search settings to 'Only courses with vacancies'.
Choose a training location
You’ll also need to choose a training location – select the relevant location name on the application form.
King Edward VII School
Darwin Lane, Sheffield S10 5RG
Lees Hall Road, Sheffield S8 9JP
Darwin Lane, Sheffield S10 5RG
Support and advice
For questions about this course you should contact the training provider using the contact details above.
Get support and advice about teaching
Register with Get into Teaching, the Department for Education’s free support and advice service, for personalised guidance from teaching experts. They can help you to prepare your application, book school experience, and access exclusive teaching events. You can also call them free of charge on 0800 389 2500, or speak to an adviser using their online chat service, from 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday.
If you have feedback or have had a problem using Find postgraduate teacher training you can contact us by email.
Is there something wrong with this page?
If there is something wrong with this course listing, contact us by email.