You could be eligible for either:
- a scholarship of £22,000
- a bursary of £20,000
With a scholarship or bursary, you’ll also get early career payments of £5,000 each in your third and fifth year of teaching (£7,500 in some areas of England).
To qualify for a scholarship you’ll need a degree of 2:1 or above in maths or a related subject. For a bursary you’ll need a 2:2 or above in any subject.
You can’t claim both a bursary and a scholarship - you can only claim one.
Find out how to apply for a scholarship. You don’t need to apply for a bursary - if you’re eligible, you’ll automatically start receiving it once you begin your course. Find out how you’ll be paid.
Financial support if you’re from outside the UK.
About the training provider
Welcome to the Lightwoods Teaching School Alliance and Newman University School Direct PGCE Programme.
Lightwoods Teaching School Alliance
"Working in partnership to develop expertise and raise standards."
Lightwoods Teaching School Alliance (TSA) is a strategic partnership including primary schools and secondary schools and a University. It is an excellent place to train to teach for reasons including:
• A decade of successful training with Newman University on undergraduate, postgraduate and GTP routes.
• Lightwoods TSA has a range of expertise in teacher development having successfully delivered support to other schools across the West Midlands.
• The Executive Head Teacher is trained as a School Improvement Partner and National Leader in Education and all the Senior Leadership Team have worked and supported in other schools. Lightwoods Primary School is a National Support School.
• Lightwoods TSA have hosted a range of training and CPD opportunities including observation of teaching, support for planning and moderation.
We have developed a close knit partnership which has a strong foundation based on a depth of experience within a family community; overall this allows us to create an excellent, personalised experience with outstanding support. We tailor and customise each individual’s training programme to develop them into balanced well rounded professionals. At the heart of our alliance is the need to provide outstanding teaching and a positive learning experience for all pupils.
About the accredited body
With a strong community cluster of schools we can offer training tailored to the individual’s needs which are superbly supported by the longstanding expertise from Newman University.
What can I expect at Newman University?
• Academic and Professional Tutor - There will be a named tutor to support your academic and professional development through tutorial and email support
• Partnership Tutor- A tutor from Newman will oversee and moderate the assessment of your school-based training
• High quality taught sessions delivered by expert tutors
• A virtual learning environment
• Access to the Newman University library
Training with disabilities and other needs
Lightwoods Teaching School Alliance value diversity and the unique contribution that all their staff and trainees bring. If you have a disability, you shouldn’t be dissuaded from applying as our training programme caters for individual needs.
Apply on the UCAS website. You’ll need to register with UCAS before you can apply.
Visit Get into Teaching for guidance on applying for teacher training.
When you apply you’ll need these codes for the Choices section of your application form:
Training provider code:
Training programme code:
Choose a training location
You’ll also need to choose a training location – select the relevant location name on the application form.
St Michaels CE High School
Rowley Learning Campus, Curral Road, Rowley Regis, West Midlands B65 9AN
Support and advice
For questions about this course you should contact the training provider using the contact details above.
Get support and advice about teaching
Register with Get into Teaching, the Department for Education’s free support and advice service, for personalised guidance from teaching experts. They can help you to prepare your application, book school experience, and access exclusive teaching events. You can also call them free on 0800 389 2500, or speak to an adviser using their online chat service, from 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday.
If you have feedback or have had a problem using Find postgraduate teacher training you can contact us by email.
Is there something wrong with this page?
If there is something wrong with this course listing, contact us by email.